Lenten Bedtime Stories and Prayers Weekdays in Lent March 8-April 20, 2019 6:15-6:30 PM
We'll mark the 40 days of Lent by sharing bedtime stories and prayers via Facebook Live. We welcome everyone to join us in this experiment in building faith and community by praying together online. Taking a little time at the end of each day (10-15 minutes, at most) to share stories, songs, and prayers together helps us ALL get ready to enter the great mystery and celebration of Easter together.
Anyone is welcome to lead--just sign up here by adding your name and contact info to the "schedule" page. Then contact Sylvia+ for additional details and instructions. In order to lead, you will need a smartphone or tablet, an internet connection or data, and a facebook account. Children are more than welcome to lead with the permission (and assistance as needed) of an adult!
GETTING READY 1. Choose one or more dates you can lead, and sign up on the schedule, using the link above. 2. Contact Sylvia+ to make sure you are authorized as a "live contributor" on St. Mark's facebook page. 3. Do a quick "test run" with your smart phone or tablet to make sure you are able to "go live" from St. Mark's facebook page. 4. Select a favorite storybook to share. The story does NOT need to be explicitly "religious" but it should reflect positive values or a spiritual theme. You are more than welcome to borrow a book from St. Mark's (we have a huge children's library downstairs, outside the Sunday School classrooms) but if you have a favorite story from home to share, even better! 5. Practice the song, "Angels watching over me" using the audio link below.
1. (AROUND 6PM) GET READY: Gather your smartphone/tablet, storybook "cheat sheet", and any other "props" you might want. Get set up and settled. Log on to facebook; Go to St. Mark's facebook page and get ready to "go live".
2. (Between 6:10-6:15) POST A DESCRIPTION, GO LIVE (AND SAY): "Good Evening. My name is X. [Or we are the X family.] Join us for bedtime stories and prayers! As we get ready, I invite you to share your name and one happy thing or thanksgiving from your day in the comments."
3. (At 6:15PM) START SINGING: All day, all night, (angels watching over me my Lord) All day, all night (angels watching over me.) Join me as we read a book (Angels watching over me my Lord) God is everywhere we look (Angels watching over me.)
4. READ: Read a short storybook of your choice aloud. Be sure that viewers can see the pictures!
5. SING: All day, all night, (angels watching over me my Lord) All day, all night (angels watching over me.) Now it's time for us to pray (Angels watching over me my Lord) God is listening night and day (Angels watching over me.)
6. PRAY: Invite viewers to share their prayers requests in the comments. Share a few prayer requests of your own. Read aloud any prayer requests posted in the comments, saying something like "We join X in praying for Y. We join A in praying for B."
7. SAY: We gather up all of our prayers--the prayers we share and the prayers in our hearts--in the prayer that Jesus taught us: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our tresspasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.
8. SING: All day, all night, (angels watching over me my Lord) All day, all night (angels watching over me.) Now the day is at its end (Angels watching over me my Lord) I thank God for you, my friend (Angels watching over me.)
9. SAY: May God Almighty grant us a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen. Good Night!
10. END End the livestream and publish live video.
Don't forget to show support for your fellow leaders by tuning in to participate even on days when you're not leading.
If you feel comfortable doing so, SHARE the post on your own facebook feed, so that your friends can enjoy bedtime stories and prayers with you!
Song: Angels watching over me
Refrain: All day, all night, Angels watching over me my Lord All day, all night, Angels watching over me
Verse 1 (Opening) Join me as we read a book (Angels watching over me my Lord) God is everywhere we look (Angels watching over me.)
Verse 2 (After Story, Before Prayers) Now it's time for us to pray (Angels watching over me my Lord) God is listening night and day (Angels watching over me.)
Verse 3 (Closing) Now the day is at its end (Angels watching over me my Lord) I thank God for you, my friend (Angels watching over me.)
Want to see an example before you sign up, so you know what you're getting in to? Below is an example of Sylvia+ and her younger two kids co-leading Bedtime Stories and Prayers the first day of Lent last year. As you can see...you don't have to be perfect to lead--just willing! The length of each night's session will vary--depending on the length of the story book and the number of prayer requests--but sessions will generally range in length from 7-15 minutes.
Booklist (Coming Soon)
We'll keep a running list of books we've shared here, in case you discover some new titles that you'd like to add to your home library!